Monday 2 April 2012

Review Three: Encouraging Learning Styles

Hey Guys, Found a website where learning styles are described and ways to encourage that particular style in children.

Here it is:

For visual learners it says that a child will enjoy visual/ picture books at any age. This I disagree with. When I reached a certain age There was no way I would sit down and read a picture book. It seemed so juvenile, and it still does. There are better ways for a visual learner to interpret their lessons. The other ways to teach a child/ encourage them to learn visually are perfectly acceptable in my eyes. Boardgames, visualisation/ analogies, and daydreaming are accessible by all children and have all been proven to help a child retain information taught to them.

Auditory learners can learn through books on tape, listening to their own words on tape, and having someone type up a story the learner dictates to them. These all seem reasonable, especially the books on tape. It all makes sense that a child learns through an auditory lens. Lectures, videos, plays and other verbally represented lessons all enhance a lesson.

The kinaesthetic learner learns through physical touch and movement. I personally do not learn in this way so I find it a little difficult to relate to a student who needs to physically do the lessons or have a hands on experience. The website however lays out some clever ways which a parent can enhance lessons.

Lastly the site outlines what the logical learner. They learn through mathematical problems, puzzles, computers, and patterns. Another learning style that I do not associate with, but it makes sense, mathematically inclined people are more likely to learn in a different way. Science experiments are the best way to help along the logical learner.

I understand that a child will need to learn according to their particular learning style but I can not get out of my head my previously posted video on how there are no learning styles. After reading this site I disagree with the video clip even more now.

No comments:

Post a Comment